Friday, November 21, 2008

Holiday musings

I miss my mother. I don't say it aloud very often, but it's there, all the time -- a constant subtext lingering just below the surface of everything I say and everything I do. Even when I am completely happy, it's not without a sense of profound loss.

Don't get me wrong -- I am happy. Things are good. In those minutes, the sense of loss strikes when I wish I could pick up the phone and tell my mother.

But I think that next few weeks will be a challenge of another sort. It'll start with my birthday and Thanksgiving, the first of both without my mother, and on the same day, no less. And then the rest of the holidays, which seem like they're off in the distance now, but will soon be rolling in like the tide. And even though I'm trying not to be sad or to dwell -- to keep things light and in perspective -- there's a part of me that wants to crawl into bed -- preferably with pie -- and not come out until after New Year's.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The holidays can make anyone want to crawl in bed with a pie. I hope the fond memories your have of the holidays with your mother ease the pain of your loss. I am so sorry.

Blakely said...

I know it is going to be hard this year for you but your memories will help. You are strong and I have a feeling you will be keeping busy. And if you want to crawl under the covers with pie then do so! Just make sure you come back out.

Ryane said...

Oh Dara...I can't imagine what that feels like. I say take ice cream and whipped cream along with the pie. And a spoon.