Thursday, July 13, 2006

Important scientific findings!

I saw this the other day, and meant to post about it, but as those who know me can attest, I tend to get distracted way too easily.

The conclusion of the article is that talking on a cell phone -- even if you're using a hands-free device -- makes you as dangerous as if you're driving drunk. But the actual results of the study show something else: The cell phone users were more likely to crash than the drunk drivers.

Think about that for a second.



Update: Wow, this got mentioned on the Express's website! Neat-o!

Update #2: On a related topic, MTV news just reported on a Korean cell phone with a built-in breathalyzer function -- which also keeps you from drunk dialing.

5 comments:

Justin S. said...

Two questions:

What about talking on your cel phone while driving drunk?

Was the study conducted in Wisconsin?

dara said...

The article is silent on the subject, but I think that if you're drunk, tired, and talking on a cell phone, you are a very dangerous weapon. It's almost like the perfect storm.

Beakerz said...

Thank you for this. I passed it along to my girlfriend who is the worst about being on the phone in the car (then again, what woman isn't?) and to my father who used to give me crap about this very thing. (I have stopped. yay me!)

Beakerz said...

and yea, and if you're drunk, on the cell, driving, and in Wisconsin, shit. I'd pray to crash. Wisconsin, pft

dara said...

Needtsza: I don't think the talking while driving thing is just a female thing. I'm a girl, and I'm almost never on the phone while driving, even with the hands-free. (I don't usually check my blackberry, either.) Then again, I love my cute little car and would hate for something bad to happen to it.

Everyone is guilty of driving while distracted -- some more than others -- but we're all equally guilty of thinking that bad things won't happen as a consequence because we're smarter, or more attentive, or better drivers, or whatever. I guess the moral of the story is to be aware of your limitations -- and pay attention!