Monday, July 17, 2006

Fever thoughts

Despite the fact that I am sick as can be, I still managed to work a full 12 hour day. And I should note that I have not had a complete day off -- including weekends -- since July 4th. Seriously.

Last night, my fever got up to 102°. (Today, it's hovering around 99°.) That's hotter than it is outside. No wonder why I've been freezing all day. When I went out at lunch to get my soup, I thought it was perfectly pleasant outside.

Some of the people in my office seem a little germaphobic, so I felt bad every time I sneezed or coughed. I kept my office door most-of-the-way closed all day, but I still had people looking at me as if I were spreading the Bubonic plague. I wanted to put a quarantine sign on my office door. I didn't do it, though. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, when I was getting on the escalator coming out of Metro on my way home, I saw two women, probably in their mid-to-late 20's, who were standing at the top of the escalator seemingly scared of getting on it. At one point, it looked like one of the ladies tentatively put her foot out to catch the escalator and then pulled it back. When I got towards the top, they both finally got on the escalator, and one shrieked, but I'm not sure whether it was with delight or fear.

I have never actually seen anyone who was afraid of the escalator before. It was bizarre.

So, of course, I'm trying to figure out other weird things people might be afraid of. I'm scared of getting the chicken pox, but that's only because I've never had it. And I'm a little bit agoraphobic, but that's really only because I'm short and when there's a crowd, I can't see what's going on around me.

I saw this site that claims to treat Arachibutyrophobia, which is the fear of peanut butter. I think that's made up, though.

6 comments:

Justin S. said...

Take a day off. Seriously. The firm will survive without you for a day and you don't need to work 12 hour days in the heat.

dara said...

This is just a very busy time at work. If I'm still sick after tomorrow, I might be able to take a day off.

DSL said...

Wow, I just left a comments like Justin's. And Dara's response is just as I predicted. Some people just need to be forced to stay home.

Nicole said...

With respect to the chicken pox, D, I would suggest you see your doctor about getting vaccinated. I too have not had the chicken pox, but since I've been exposed like a million times, I haven't been too worried about it. However, when I went to the doctor recently their reaction was alarming. I had to be tested to see if I'm immune -- I'm not -- and my doctor was adamant that I be vaccinated. Of course, then there was the whole drama of who could do the vaccination (because the doctor's office doesn't have "live" vaccines???), plus, it's two shots and they have to be given no less than 4 weeks apart and no more than 8 weeks. Who knew it would be such a big thing? I seriously thought about blowing it off, but I think my doctor might have "fired" me if I had.

dara said...

Debby, you and Justin need to coordinate your comments. Seriously. And I'd probably even work if I were at home.

Nicole, I'm also scared of needles. But I will ask my doctor next time I go in.

And before anyone says anything -- no, I am not going to the doctor for my cold. If I'm not better by the end of the week, I'll think about it, but otherwise, give me some tea, some cold medicine, and some sleep, and I'll be just fine.

DSL said...

I don't endorse going to the doctor just for a cold unless you're old, very young, or otherwise have a weakened immune system.