Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Observation #4: Tragedy and Humanity

I was riding the Metro into work this morning, and my mind naturally drifted to yesterday's tragedy. My heart goes out to the families of the victims, and for a fleeting moment, I felt a sort-of kinship with them, in a way that only people who have lost others in a very shocking and sudden way could possibly understand.

Then I looked across the crowded train and had a moment of clarity: Other than perhaps the very smallest children, every single person on that train has, at some point, been touched by tragedy. Maybe big, maybe little, maybe someone close, maybe indirectly, but this shared experience of loss is one of the main things that makes us human.


1 comment:

honkeie said...

we are all bound as one in pain and suffering. all we need now is something we can all hate as one to unitfy the world in its quest to destroy what ever that one thing might be.....may gwad have mercy on whatevers soul that might be!