Wednesday, November 04, 2009

On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur

To me, books are like comfort food. When I am sad or melancholy, I tend go back to the same ones over and over again.

Lately, one of those books is The Little Prince. I vaguely recall reading it as a kid -- I think I even read it in the original French -- but I don't think it had much of an effect on me then. But as an adult, I find it deeply moving. I think a lot about the episode with the fox, particularly the statement that "one sees clearly only with the heart," and the discussion of what it means to tame and to be tamed -- or, stepping outside the allegory, to love and to be loved -- and the responsibility that comes with it. It is so simple and yet, so very profound.

If you've read it, you know what I mean. If you haven't -- go read it now!



1 comment:

new hidden object game said...

That kinda reminds me of Oscar Wilde book I picked up last month. "Happy prince and other short stories".
Found them nice as a kid, but now as an adult really finding them moving.
Thanks,will check this one out.