Saturday, November 16, 2013
Thankful November, 6-16
6. I am thankful that my daughter has become a pretty good sleeper. Life is much better when your kid goes to sleep most nights without much of a fuss and then generally sleeps through the night. I do occasionally wish she woke up a bit later, but it seems like she's like her grandmother and great-grandfather (her namesake), and is a morning person.
7. I am thankful for my job. I am always busy and never seem to have enough time to get everything finished, but I really do like it most days.
8. I am thankful that, every night, when I come home from work, my daughter smiles, stops what she is doing, and runs up to me to give me the biggest, best hug in the world. I don't even mind that most of the time, she inadvertently rubs boogers or food all over my work clothes. The hug is that good.
9. I am thankful for books. They are, and always have been, my favorite things. I do wish I had more time to read grownup books, though. Around here lately, we're pretty much only reading children's books. As a corollary, I am thankful that my daughter seems to have inherited my love for books. Every night, we read a handful of books, but always end with the same two. My husband and I know them by heart, and I think the baby does too. She always laughs at one part where I yawn, pretending to be a very sleepy cow.
10. I am thankful for the washer and dryer in my condo. I hope to never live in a place with community machines again.
11. I am thankful to be as old as I am and to still have a grandparent around.
12. I am thankful for being able to have a cleaning service come every other week. I am also thankful that, for all those years that I didn't really need it, I kept it up. Because, boy do we need it now.
13. I am thankful that my daughter makes me laugh every day.
14. I am thankful for Ikea. This morning, I took a quick trip down there to buy my daughter's big holiday present -- an easel. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, she really likes to color. She sits on the floor, with her markers or crayons, and sings to herself while hard at work on her masterpieces. Obviously an easel is the next step.
15. I am thankful that I get to take occasional weekend afternoon naps.
16. Right now, this minute, I am thankful for the little bit of quiet time to myself. Ordinarily, I'd be asleep, but I took a nap this afternoon, and as a result, am wide awake. But a little quiet time after my husband and daughter are asleep is the only reason I can catch up on this list. And read a little bit of a grown-up book.