Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hotel room

I am writing from a beach resort on a tropical island, in a room just feet from the sea. It's the kind of place that many people dream about on a winter day. You all should be jealous -- it is breathtakingly beautiful here. Close your eyes and imagine paradise. That's where I am.

Well, except for the teensy tiny fact that I'm only here for work. Details, details.

Naturally, all this led me to thoughts of travel and the hundreds of other hotel rooms I've been in in my life.

There's something vaguely reassuring about hotel rooms. Yes, there are differences in quality between a motel off of the interstate versus a beach resort versus a 5-star hotel in the center of a megalopolis. Still, it's nice to know that you can go anywhere in the world, and as long as you have a credit card, you can get a bed to call your own. Sometimes you can even get a bathroom and a television.

That's when you know you're lucky.

No comments: