Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Two steps forward, one step back

I hadn't checked in with my grandmother in two days. When I'd call at night, her line would be busy -- and then, it would be too late to call. I assumed, though, that no news is good news.

Just to be safe, I called her first thing in the morning. Good thing I did, since my grandfather was unresponsive again last night, and had gone back in to the ICU. I worried all day, and even looked at tickets to fly back home over the long weekend.

She called me a little while ago, to say that he was much better again today. He was talking and wanted to get out of the hospital bed.

She was upset about one thing, though: He keeps telling all the nurses that they've been married for 55 years, instead of almost 62.




3 comments:

Paige Jennifer said...

That last part was just the little giggle this ongoing story needed.

Hang in there and I have my fingers crossde he pulls through.

anne said...

That was very sweet. Best of luck to you and your family.

dara said...

Paige Jennifer: I can't stay maudlin for long. It's not in my nature. Some of that is because of my grandfather, who has the best sense of humor -- even at the most inappropriate times.

When the entire family was gathered around him in the I.C.U., as sick as he was, he made a joke to my cousin. We all laughed, and then we all looked around guiltily.

e.b.: Thanks. We're hanging in there.