Thursday, December 14, 2006

A haricut, or "changing my life"

Just about every day, I follow pretty much the same routine: I wake up, I go to work, I have lunch, I go home, I eat dinner, I go to sleep. In between these bellwethers are the mundane details -- like work or hobbies -- my normal, every day activities.

Today, one of those activities was to get a haircut. I was just going to get a trim, and I explained to the stylist that it didn't really matter what she did to it, since I generally just put it up in a ponytail. The stylist was offended by that -- something about hair being a versatile accessory. So, somehow, she convinced me to cut it shorter -- mostly by promising me that she could cut it stylishly, and that it could be styled in five minutes in the morning.

She was so excited. About halfway through, she started telling people that she was "changing my life."

This is when I knew I was in trouble.


10 comments:

Enuki Numina Mac said...

I demand to see a picture

DSL said...

Ugh, you had to mention a haircut (or a haricut, rather ;-) ). I need one so badly but don't think I'll have time to get one this weekend. I'm sure your cut is cuter than you think. At the very least, you don't have millions of split ends!

dara said...

Enuki: Did you watch Felicity?

Or better yet, remember when I was in high school and I got that haircut that you said looked like a tree?

At any rate, no pictures currently exist -- but you'll get to see it in person in 9 days or so. Maybe this will tide you over until then.

Debby: My conversation with you last weekend was one of the reasons I made the hair appointment. And I'm sure you can find an hour to get your hair cut, too.

My assistant said it was cute, but they pay her to be nice to me.

DSL said...

Maybe I'll try the place near me. Hopefully they can squeeze me in on a Saturday morning. Otherwise I may need a hairnet to bake. :-p

DSL said...

I just made an appointment for Saturday morning at 10. See how inspiring you are? :-p

Anonymous said...

So you don't like it? When I got a bunch of hair lopped off, it felt so freeing, but it did take a little getting used to.

dara said...

Debby: I aspire to help others. Just make sure you clean up all the little hair pieces before we bake tomorrow.

Sweet: It's way more dramatic than I was going for. And, thanks to the peculiar weather, it's really curly.

I actually do this about once a year. I chop off all my hair, bitch about how short it is, and then spend the rest of the year growing it out. It's like Sisyphus.

mad said...

Hairstylist as Zen mistress. Did you give her a big tip?

dara said...

Mad: I gave her a reasonable-sized tip. I probably would have given her more if she didn't stop all the time to grab all of the other hairdressers and to show them how she was "changing my life."

Plus, she called me cute at least half a dozen times.

DSL said...

The Horror!

Couldn't resist.