Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Stupid, stupid

I have been told, on more than one occasion, that I am a very bright girl. But on occasion I have these moments where events conspire to prevent any of my brain cells from functioning.

Yesterday was my first day at my new* job. And after a lovely morning of paperwork, I came back to my office with a horrible headache. By the end of the admittedly short day, I also had a pretty major stomach ache. At that point, I knew I was going to be horribly, horribly sick -- the only question was where and when. Of course, I was hoping that the answer was "not until I got home."

So I tried to rush home, via metro, but only made it as far as the station, when I suddenly needed to throw up. So throw up I did -- over the railing, as one train came and left.

I'm sure a lot of people were horrified. I know I was.

Of course, I somehow managed to get vomit on my scarf and coat -- which was only one month old. And vomit is gross. So, as anyone who knows me at all knows all too well, I had a compulsion to thoroughly clean it -- sterilize, even -- immediately.

So, I got home, and threw my scarf and coat in the washing machine.

Uh, wool coat.

Yeah, so it's completely ruined -- the wool shrank, the lining tore. Basically, it's a complete disaster.

I think that the moral of the story is that you shouldn't do laundry until you have a chance to think about it first.


*Not entirely new new, but that's a different story. Suffice it to say, for now, that it's not the job I just left.



14 comments:

Ar-Jew-Tino said...

You're lucky you didn't hurl ON a Metro train. Imagine THOSE horrified faces.

DSL said...

It happens. In college in the dorms, I used to put my watch in my pants pocket when washing my face in the evenings. Let's just say that it was a very clean watch. It went through the washing machine more than twice and finally stopped ticking. Anyway, sorry to hear about the vomiting. Hope it wasn't your favorite coat. You'll look back on this and laugh, right?

Ryane said...

Yeah, I hurled on a train once. Ar-jew-tino is right...the look of horror isn't one I will readily forget. Especially since I was sitting in the ONLY backward facing seat on this particular train..in the little alcove?? So all of everyone on the entire car got to watch me puke.

SO lovely. One of my better moments..

dara said...

Ar-Jew-Tino: I can only imagine. Although, if I were watching someone else hurl, I'm sure I'd look pretty horrified, too -- what with being a germaphobe and all.

Peter: It was a very nice coat. Purple.

Debby: It was my favorite coat -- it was my brand new purple coat. How sad is that!

Ryane: At that moment approached, I was considering getting onto the train. Then I had an internal debate as to whether it would be better to vomit on the train or off the train. I ultimately decided that off the train was more considerate to my fellow passengers. But if the train had gotten there a minute earlier . . . .

Evil Spock said...

Over Christmas break, I drank a bit too much, and I apparently hurled all over myself and my friend's Land rover. I was passed out at the time, so I'm none the wiser. I woke up the next morning stripped with my undershirt and underwear still on. My friends washed my clothes and shoes for me. Good guys they were.

dara said...

Evil Spock: Strangely enough, when it's drunken vomiting, I don't feel the same overwhelming urge to sterilize immediately. So my clothes usually wind up on the bathroom floor until the next morning (or afternoon, as the case may be). This was different.

mad said...

Oh man, that was a sucky first day. That was a sucky any day. On the bright side, it can only get better. Sorry about your coat.

dara said...

Mad: It was, indeed, sucky. Or pukey, as the case may be. Now I have to go through the arduous task of finding a new coat.

Anonymous said...

Yeah if you had hurled on the train, then a blogger would probably have written about it! Poor thing.

dara said...

Sweet: Week's not over yet. I think there's a 30% probability of more hurling sometime between 5 and 6 tonight.

I shouldn't have come in today. Especially since it's my first week (back) and they're being pretty easy on me.

matt said...

Have you perhaps thought that you might be allergic to this new* job? Have you felt pukey at home or only after spending prolonged time in the new* office?

*old

dara said...

Matt: It's been pretty much a full-time illness, ever since I got back from vacation. Although, if it were something like sick building syndrome, this would probably be the place.

sphanyx said...

Why does this story remind me of the Alachua County Fair? Sorry to hear about your coat.

dara said...

Sphanyx: Wait a second. Do I know you? How do you know about the Alachua County Fair?