Thursday, November 08, 2007

Questions presented by the New York Times

What kind of person needs to pay someone thousands of dollars to teach them enough art for cocktail party conversation, find them stylists to pick out their designer clothing and interior designers to decorate their overpriced Manhattan apartment -- and, ultimately, to introduce them to other similarly snobby like-minded people?

And exactly what kind of person would pay $25,000 for a frozen hot chocolate topped with a $250 piece of candy? (Honestly, though, doesn't getting a frozen hot chocolate defeat the purpose? If I want cold, I'll get ice cream. But that's besides the point.)



7 comments:

Paige Jennifer said...

This tidbit just made my overpriced French truffle habit look reasonable. La Maison du Chocolat, oh how slyly you rob me of money in exchange for fat laden orbs of yum....

Where was I? Right - Serendipity 3 is an institution and those Frozen Hot Chocolates are pretty fucking awesome but yeah, I'd rather take the cash and head a few blocks over to Barney's and do some real damage.

DSL said...

I guess it just sounds better than frozen chocolate milk.

dara said...

PJ: I like fancy chocolate too, but $250 is too much.

And I've been to Serendipity in NYC. It was cute and pretty good, but not $25,000 worth of good.

DSL: Marketing is everything.

Andy said...

So basically you're paying for the gold and diamonds. I don't think that's a fair thing for them to get credit for "Most Expensive Dessert." Yes, you pay $25,000 for the dessert, but it's $250 for the ridiculous truffle on top, $14 for the frozen cocoa and milk concoction and $24,736 for the diamonds and gold that you would, I assume, keep afterwards. So basically, a moderately rich dude could take a girl to Serendipity 3, buy her the frozen hot chocolate, and then give the remnants to a jeweler in the diamond district to make a ring out of and perhaps a gold and diamond necklace for the mother and mother in law to be, and some bling for the father and father in law to be.

dara said...

I think you're supposed to eat the gold, Andy.

Andy said...

You may eat the little gold chips in there, but not the golden spoon and all that. Did you see the dessert? I wouldn't eat that much metal.

dara said...

Eh, other than eating the golden spoon, it's probably no different than drinking a bottle of Goldschlager.