Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sick of the Saccharine

I didn't always hate Valentine's Day. When I was younger -- even after some real crappy Valentine's Days -- I still managed to like the holiday. I have fond memories of the time my ex filled my dorm room with balloons. I even have fond memories of the time we got into a fight because he bought me a book that he wanted as a gift.

And today, I didn't start off hating the day -- despite the fact that it started with all sorts of crappy sentimental music on the radio. And I wasn't really bothered by it being all over the media. But then I started reading.

I hate how The Post used Valentine's Day as excuse to run an article about how young women are averse to love and an essay purportedly about appropriate online dating behavior, all in a "special section" that they called "Love Week."

Ick, ick, ick.

And finally, now I hate the fact that I took the silly candy heart quiz that Needtsza posted:

Your Candy Heart Says "Cutie Pie"

You always seem to have a hot date, even though you never try to meet anyone.
A total charmer, you have a natural appeal that keeps you in high demand.

Your ideal Valentine's Day date: multiple dates with multiple people

Your flirting style: 100% natural

What turns you off: serious relationship talks

Why you're hot: you're totally addicting


I'm so glad the world goes back to normal tomorrow.



8 comments:

Ryane said...

Dara, I agree! That article about how young women don't want to be in love was bullshit.

dara said...

Ryane: It's not the holiday that I have a problem with -- it's the marketing and the media. I think that the article was the last straw.

mad said...

The place I'd want to get dating tips from is the Washington Freakin Post.

That part about the ideal V-Day date sounds pretty damn kinky -- or at least exhausting, if you're talking about a single evening!

dara said...

Mad: My actual personality bears no resemblance to the Candy Heart Quiz. In fact, it is totally wrong on 5 of 6 points. My idea of a perfect Valentine's Day involves one person, a pizza, a movie (or, in this case, Lost), and making fun of the people that spent all that money on fancy dinners, flowers, and candy.

DSL said...

Dara, what happened to your zen? Perhaps the bigger point is why do we read these articles? I love LOST. Just want to say that.

DSL said...

DO YOU THINK THEY HAVE ANY NEGATIVE ONES? I LOVE THE IDEAL V-DAY DATE. THAT'S DEFINITELY ME. ;-)

Your Candy Heart Says "Hug Me"

A total sweetheart, you always have a lot of love to give out.
Your heart is open to where ever love takes you!

Your ideal Valentine's Day date: a surprise romantic evening that you've planned out

Your flirting style: lots of listening and talking

What turns you off: fighting and conflict

Why you're hot: you're fearless about falling in love

dara said...

DSL: I am still Zen, but these articles are annoying.

It's right about you and fighting and conflict. Then again, mine's right about the not liking serious talks.

And, for the record, I love Lost too. I'm just not sure if I understand it.

DSL said...

I don't have all the answers about LOST either but I don't care. I'm just enjoying the journey. My younger sister hates the way Gone With the With ends, but I love it.

I do avoid confrontation, that's for sure. On the other hand, when my sisters' went off to their rooms, I would always stay and battle it out with my parents. Stubborn I guess.