Of course this poses a problem: I have a black tie wedding to go to next weekend, and the pretty Nanette Lepore dress that I bought is no longer going to fit me.
So, here are my choices:
- Wear the dress I wore to the inaugural ball in January, 2005. (Quilted satin, mostly black with gold squares.) Pro: It closes, and it doesn't look that bad. Plus it's not as overwhelming as my other ball gown. Con: It doesn't fit that well -- it's not quite the right proportion because it is not a petite. And it has uncomfortable boning in the seams. And it's sleeveless. And you can see my tattoo. And it needs to be dry cleaned.
- Wear the dress I wore to my sister's wedding in May, 2004. (Iridescent light green chiffon with beaded straps.) Pro: It's green and very pretty. Con: It's very sheer and lightweight and hard to match shoes and accessories to. And you can see my tattoo.
- Wear the grey empire waist dress that I wore on a cruise with my parents in May, 1999. (Grey velvet embroidered top, grey chiffon bottom.) Pro: It is a beautiful dress. And I can wear a bra with it. Con: It squishes my boobs down. And you can see part of my tattoo.
- Wear the navy blue dress I wore on that same cruise with my parents. (Navy blue velvet top, midnight blue chiffon skirt, cowl back.) Pro: It fits really well. Con: The zipper won't lie flat. And you can see part, if not all, of my tattoo.
- Wear the bridesmaid's dress from Nicole's wedding. (Navy blue satin two piece with low v-back and subtle beading at the empire waist.) Pro: It fits really well. I can wear a bra with it. And it has a matching wrap that I can use to cover up my tattoo. Con: It looks like a bridesmaid dress, which is somewhat inappropriate.
- Wear the black dress I wore to the law firm's office Christmas party in 2006. (Black chiffon, beading at waist, low cut.) Pro: It is a gorgeous dress and fits me well. Plus it's black, which means that I can find a wrap to wear easily. Con: It's black -- I'd rather wear something with color. Oh, and without a wrap, you can see my tattoo.
- Figure out a way to lose the better part of ten pounds by Saturday. Pro: My beautiful new Nanette Lepore dress would fit. As would some other options. Con: You'd probably still see my tattoo. And I'd probably make myself sick. Oh, and it's not likely to happen.
- Try to find a new dress. Pro: I get a new dress. Con: I have to buy a new dress when I have tons of dresses in my closet. And I'd have to go shopping, when I'm already stressed enough.
What to do, what to do?
Update: I added links to pictures of the dresses in question. Let me know what you think.