Thursday, July 26, 2007

Absentminded Obsessing

This morning, I told my mother/real estate advisor that I'm not used to obsessing about anything nearly as much as I've been obsessing over the potential purchase of a condo. She laughed when I said, "Usually when I tell people I have OCD, it's the compulsive part that I'm talking about."

Of course, it's the confluence of both tendencies that would explain the spreadsheet I made of every single condo that I've looked at over the past week.

This morning, I was so involved in my obsessing that I got on the wrong train on the way to work. I figured it out pretty quickly, though -- but by that point it was easier to ride all the way to Metro Center to change to the red line, rather than backtrack to the Pentagon. Of course, then I got lost in my own thoughts again, and at Metro Center, I got on the train heading in the wrong direction.

I've been taking the metro to work for one week shy of seven years, and I've never done that before. Never. Not even when I changed jobs, and started having to go in the opposite direction from what I had been doing for over five years.

I was 45 minutes late for work because of my absentmindedness. (Normally, I'm only 15 minutes late, ha ha.)

The good news is that I'm narrowing down my decision. The bad news is that, no matter what I wind up doing, my next obsession is going to be over my finances.



7 comments:

mad said...

That's the kind of attention to detail I would want in a lawyer. Heh.

dara said...

Luckily, it's quiet at work -- and will hopefully stay that way for the next week or two.

When I'm really psyched about a case, I do the same thing. I have, on occasion, dreamed about how to organize my files or what my closing argument should be like.

Joe Grossberg said...

One step at a time, sweetie. Don't get too far ahead of yourself. You've made a lot of progress.

dara said...

Thanks, I think.

Anonymous said...

you really dont need to obsess about it... just relax and take it slow...

DSL said...

It's normal to agonize over a big decision like this. Just remember that you don't have to live anywhere forever.

dara said...

My agonizing is mostly due to the fact that it's a ton of money.