Sunday, July 15, 2007

To move or not?

Yesterday, I finally mustered up the courage to look at the note that the leasing company left for me last month that set out what my rent increase is going to be in September.

I think I finally know what highway robbery feels like. Suffice it to say that the number is right around $2.50 per square foot. And, while the apartment is nice -- and my neighbors are professional athletes -- the service isn't that great, and the closet is too small. Plus, there was that one incident with the mouse . . . .

At the same time, one of my friends is looking for a roommate. On Friday, he broached the subject with me, to which my response was essentially, "Seriously?"

Of course, now I'm starting to reconsider. Is 31 too old to be thinking about having a roommate?



8 comments:

Joe Grossberg said...

That rent increase sounds nuts.

A roommate isn't necessarily a bad idea; I dunno if I could deal. It really depends on the person, and on your reason for it.

I personally think you should move across the street.

I pay about $2/ft^2 and there are def. vacancies.

dara said...

Yeah, but you don't have a washer/dryer in your apartment, and you have to park your car outside. A girl's got to have standards.

Joe Grossberg said...

We also don't have fire alarms from the restaurants, we have a dry cleaners in the basement, a gym, a pool and -- believe it or not -- there is a garage. It's under the parking lot. Emily B. used to park there.

Laundry used to be a pain in my arse, but I have to confess my ex-gf was right about this one -- the fact you can do three loads at once helps compensate for the inconvenience.

dara said...

I'm not moving across the street. For years, I lived with a community laundry room. I travel too much to put up with that bullshit anymore. It's a deal-breaker.

Evil Spock said...

Never too old to have a roommate, especially if its someone fun to hang out with.

dara said...

Yeah, but I'm not that much fun anymore!

Paige Jennifer said...

I know this is going to sound WAY sexist and seeing I went to Smith College these words shouldn't ever flow from my mouth. Yeah, well, whatever. Feminist shmeninist. If you are up for sharing space, do it. The shame of a roommate is horrible for a man but nada for a girl. And I would go so far as to say two girls sharing a pad is potential points. From a guy perspective. Because most men will see that as a segue to finally living out that stupid threesome fantasy.

Wow, that was quite a rant (laughing).

dara said...

Ah, but what if the potential roommate in question is male?