Thursday, April 13, 2006

Mea Culpa, of sorts

The Post acknowledged that they got the Cheney story wrong, and that the booing did indeed start before he threw the first pitch at Tuesday's Nationals game. David Nakamura explained to Howard Kurtz:

"When Cheney was announced to the crowd, the booing began. I was there and heard that. When he threw poorly, the boos intensified. I was trying to make the point that he got more boos after the bad throw -- but did not mean to imply that's the only time he was booed. For my quick online story, I mistakenly left out the broader context, assuming people knew Cheney was a controversial figure. After hearing from online readers, I then added more context for my story in [Tuesday's] actual newspaper. But since Cheney's appearance was no longer the lede of my story [Tuesday] -- which dealt with fans angry that the Nats have no team owner yet -- I dealt with his boos only in one paragraph in the newspaper story."

So, in essence, it's the fault of the readership for not assuming that Cheney would get booed?

2 comments:

DSL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dara said...

I think lede is correct.