Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Civic Duty



I had to race home to make it to my precinct before it closed, but, I somehow managed to make it right as they made the cut-off. Unfortunately, I was one of only a few that took the primary election seriously.

As with a lot of things, Justin, Ted, and I had some amusing -- well, at least to us -- e-mail repartee about the election. First, Justin keenly observed:

Two reasons not to vote for Harris Miller.

One, don't trust a guy with two last names. Two, this.

http://mo-k-musings.livejournal.com/132594.html


Of course, the discussion with Ted got a little more abstract, and a little more serious:

Dara: Ted, are you ignoring us today? Did we upset you yesterday?
Have you voted or are you voting in the primary? Who should we vote for?
And, are you more likely to become a homo or a Republican?

Ted: I was working! No, I am not ignoring you -- and you should know it takes a WHOLE lot to offend me.
I voted this morning, for Jim Webb. It's a no-brainer.
Great question. Republican.

Ted: I hadn't seen this quote until today. Calling your opponent the "anti-christ of outsourcing" gives an automatic endorsement.


Update: Webb won. Of course it doesn't get easier for him -- or as Justin e-mailed earlier today, "This is just a race to lose to George Allen."

6 comments:

DSL said...

How can you expect people to vote when there's absolutely no coverage of the upcoming election whatsoever?!

I'm also a little pissed that you and Justin ignored me over Ted, but I see how it is. :-p

dara said...

Sorry Debby, but you know how these random e-mail conversations escalate.
Mostly I was talking to Justin, but then I wanted to ask Ted the gay or republican question.

Justin S. said...

To be fair, Debby, I didn't actually participate in any conversation with Ted yesterday other than a short phone call after work. Ted wasn't ignoring me any more than I was ignoring Ted.

DSL said...

I stand corrected. And I forgive you both for ignoring me. :-)

dara said...

This was the sequence of events:
I emailed Justin and Ted about something unrelated to anything (a story about Queensryche getting arrested) and while Justin responded, Ted did not.

Then Justin and I had a string of emails about baseball, which turned into a discussion of the primary election, leading us to wonder who Ted was endorsing. So I sent Ted the email with all the questions, and not only did he respond, he called me to discuss.

Debby, next time we'll remember to cc you on the baseball and Queensryche strings.

DSL said...

And I e-mailed Dara and Justin about something entirely different and expressing my gratitude to both, neither one responded. End of story. As to the baseball and Queensryche, no thanks. Guess that means things are back to normal