Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day Weekend

I was lucky enough to spend this entire weekend with my Dad.

The whole thing started out with a baseball conversation last year. Something like, "Dad, if the Yankees play the Nationals in interleague play, would you want tickets?" "Yeah, that would be fun."

As a starting point, it would be important to note that I have a great dad. But, his major character flaw is that he is a Yankees fan -- although, to his credit, he grew up in Jersey City during the 1940's and 50's, so it does make some sense. But, the Yankees are evil, and corporate, and represent all that is wrong with baseball . . . .



So, back to this weekend. In October, when the preliminary schedule was announced, and the Yankees were, indeed, coming to RFK. And again, the conversation -- "Dad, do you want me to get tickets?" "Yeah." I think he doubted my sincerity.

But I bought the tickets, and and I bought him a plane ticket up from Florida. Turns out it was Father's day weekend. We went to the games Friday and Saturday.




On Friday, the Nats lead for most of the game, but couldn't pull off a win. Yestarday, the Yankees were killing the Nats -- leading 9-2 at one point, following a Johnny Damon grand slam -- but the Nats somehow managed to come back and win.

Then his mother and sister came into town from New Jersey, and we went out for a steak dinner.

Today, the four of us went to brunch and to a winery tour and tasting. Even though I'm 30, my dad thought it was funny when I played with my food.



We got back from the winery, and I dropped my dad off at the airport. When I got home, I found out that the Nats won today's ballgame -- and the series -- in dramatic fashion.

This was an excellent weekend. I hope we get to do it again soon.




Update: Here's Entertainment Weekly's list of the funniest movie dads. My dad's not that funny, although he did manage to crack a whole bunch of jokes about the mouse and the broken closet over the weekend.

Update 2: I just saw this on PostSecret:


Happy Father's Day, Daddy.

No comments: