Monday, June 12, 2006

World Cup Fever!

Actually, it's just a mild infection, but still . . .

I just got back from a little lunchtime diversion* of watching the first half of the U.S. team's first match. They were losing to the Czech Republic 2-0 at halftime, when I left to get back to work.


*Law firm sanctioned, of course.


Update: The U.S. lost 3-0. But don't despair just yet -- maybe we can still beat Italy on Saturday.

Read Dave Eggers on the True Story of American Soccer, hopefully it'll make you feel better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for the rioting to break out. Where are all the hooligans?

NotCarrie said...

Oh bust!

I said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I said...

Fat chance. If we couldn't beat the Czech Rebulic there is no chance we will beat Italy, as the are probably the best team after Brazil.

Cathie said...

Um, the Czechs are number 2 in the world, the US 5, and the Italians are 13th. "I" knows little about soccer, obviously. Especially with that "best team next to Brazil" comment.

If the US plays like they did today, they'll never beat Italy or Ghana, who played a heck of a game despite the 2-0 defeat. But if they play like the team who is fifth in the world, they should beat both teams. I'm a little concered about that goal deficit, though. That third goal could turn out to be huge.