Thursday, November 09, 2006

On writing

When I started this little blog project nine months ago, I mostly intended it as a place for me to vent my frustrations and post things that I would otherwise send to people in annoying e-mails. I had no idea that it would remind me of how much I love to write.

The problem is, I have this thing called a job.

Anyway, for those who haven't been paying attention, November is National Novel Writing Month. And, while I haven't actually signed up for the challenge, it has inspired me to write more. I'm not sure where (or if) it's going -- I only have about 650 words so far.*

See, one of the downsides of this job thingie is that I generally work really long hours. So the only time I have to write is when I get home from work. But when I get home, I usually need to relax, find something to eat, check out what's on the telly, and unwind for a little bit first. Since I've started with my project, I've managed to find a tiny bit of time to write, late at night, just around midnight. As a result, I go to sleep late, wake up late, rush in to work late, and proceed on with my very lawyery day.

Still, 650 words is pretty good, right? Although, maybe it's better suited to Jason's alternative writing challenge. I'll reassess towards the end of the month.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon, I stumbled across this awesome site, Ruined Music, where people tell real life stories about how a song is ruined for them.

Yeah, you know where this is going. I stayed up late night last night to write one. It's about 400 words. I started writing it out by hand -- like I hadn't done since I was a kid -- during Lost, and e-mailed it in at about 1:30.

I'll keep y'all posted if they publish it.



*662 as of this morning! Hooray!



10 comments:

DSL said...

Interesting observations, huh? Have we been demoted? :-)

dara said...

I thought that maybe people were commenting less due to all the pressure to be witty. "Interesting" is a lesser burden.

I'm trying to come up with something better. Maybe "clever comment." Any suggestions?

DSL said...

Ah true. Perhaps when they see my comments and see that they aren't witty or clever, they'll be encouraged.

dara said...

Besides, isn't it awfully presumptious of me to demand witty remarks when the blog post itself is not generally all that witty?

Maybe it should give you the option of any of three: "Witty, clever, or interesting observations."

Or maybe it should be a pop culture reference like "What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

DSL said...

ooh...I like the last choice. :-) Maybe it's Bo's length, articulate comments that intimidate. All that and he's still anti-gay marriage? ;-) I'm so excited. Don't think I can wait another hour for Allen's concession speech.

dara said...

More ideas:

The first Collective Soul album was called "Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid." That's kind of catchy.

Bur, yeah, "What you talkin' 'bout Willis" is definitely in keeping with the theme (or lack thereof) around here.

DSL said...

It's more pop culture so everyone should feel welcome.

mad said...

Yeh, this whole work thing is a bummer. But if you write 662 words a day, after 10 years you will have...well, a lot.

dara said...

Mad, I should clarify -- it's 662 words since last week.

Still, 662 words a week over a ten year period is, well, still pretty significant. But at this rate, it's going to take me 76 weeks to finish a 50,000 word novel.

It was much easier to write the short essay to send in to ruined music. And I like writing about songs.

The White's said...

YOu all know that even in my lengthy posts I still try and say something witty! REmember, I love debate as long as it is civil, and DAra's blog is the one place I feel comfortable being different.