Monday, November 06, 2006

Pop Culture Litmus Test

I saw Interview's Pop Culture test today (thanks Gawker!).


I am astounded that I can only identify ten of them without resorting to Google or Wikipedia. Therefore, I've concluded that Interview is way out of my league.

Accordingly, I've decided that I ought to come up with my own Pop Culture reference test. Possible candidates from recent blog posts include:

  • George Allen
  • Stephen Baldwin
  • Charles Barkley
  • Bono
  • Tim Burton
  • Kirk Cameron
  • Naomi Campbell
  • Neko Case
  • Eric Dane
  • Patrick Dempsey
  • Devo
  • Ted Haggard
  • Logan Echolls
  • Tina Fey
  • Mark Foley
  • Kinky Friedman
  • Lorelai Gilmore
  • Jeffrey, Michael, Uli & Laura
  • Alex P. Keaton
  • Jimmy Kimmel
  • Michael Kors
  • Rush Limbaugh
  • Richard Linklater
  • Dave Navarro
  • Chris O'Donnell
  • O.K. Go
  • Matthew Perry
  • Ryan Phillipe
  • Trent Reznor
  • Santino Rice
  • Alex Rodriguez
  • Al Sharpton
  • Slash & Axl
  • Wesley Snipes
  • Jeff Suppan
  • Bill Watterson
  • Jim Webb
  • Gene Weingarten
  • E.B. White
  • Bradley Whitford
  • Wegmans
  • Michelle Williams
Scoring: If you can't identify the majority of these names, then clearly, this blog is not for you.


6 comments:

The White's said...

I'm with you - I only hit about 10 as well. Did a lot better with your list (prob about 80%). INterestingly enough, Ryan Philipe is shirtless on the cover of Interview. Think he was trying to make himself available to the ladies knowing his impending divorce?

dara said...

Bo: You probably didn't get the references to characters from TV shows.

Ryan Phillipe is not my type, but they certainly made him look amazing on that Interview cover. I'd bet, though, that they decided on the layout two or three months ago -- to coincide with the release of his new critically-acclaimed war movie (not the divorce).

Miss Scarlet said...

I thought their test would be a breeze, but WHOA that was tough!

dara said...

Their choices are pretty obscure. That's why mine are more mainstream.

CBK said...

I recognized 8 names from Interview's list, but could probably only tell you what 4 of them do/who they are. On your list, though, I know all but 4. Nice shout out to Logan Echolls. :-)

BTW, I'm here from Scarlet's site, and I really like your blog. Also BTW, have you ever revealed where you went to law school? I'm curious because I went to law school in DC.

dara said...

CBK: Any friend of Scarlet's is welcome here! And I would think that anyone who reads her blog is likely to know a lot of the characters on my litmus test.

Interview's test is ridiculously hard, but is laughable because they misspelled Sofia Coppola's name. I mean, dude, if you're going to judge people on their obscure pop culture knowledge, at least get the spelling right.

I went to law school at the University of Florida. But it was a long time ago. I've been in DC since 2000.