Friday, November 10, 2006

Yet another crazy lunch story

Since I'm not exactly getting peppered with questions, I've decided to devote a couple minutes to writing about my most recent lunchtime controversy.

Yesterday, I had a quick appointment in between Farragut West and Foggy Bottom. I decided that I'd walk there and back, and grab lunch along the way back to my office, since the weather was divine -- probably for the last time until next Spring.

Plus, it seemed like an excellent day to walk down by the White House.

So, on the way back, I stopped to grab a sandwich at Cosi, as I am wont to do. I decided, fat and calories be damned, I was going to try the Turkey Bacon Cheddar Melt. I ordered, and specifically asked them to hold the honey mustard (I hate mustard) and to put the sandwich on the new Etruscan whole-wheat bread.

During the fifteen-minute walk back to my office with the sandwich, I was so excited about that sandwich. The Cosi next door to my office has been closed for so long that I had almost forgotten how good their bread tastes.

I got back to my office, grabbed a Diet Coke, and finally sat down at my desk to eat my sandwich. Of course, it was absolutely drenched in honey mustard.

I called the Cosi, and at first, they were uncooperative. They said that I could walk down there and get a replacement sandwich. I explained that the whole process would take at least a half-hour of my time, which was unacceptable. They offered to have a sandwich sent out to me, if I waited until after the lunch rush was over -- but they had no idea what time that would be. I reluctantly agreed, and was transferred to a manager.

Of course, the manager chose a different route. She unilaterally decided that it would not be possible to deliver a sandwich to me, no matter how long I was willing to wait. Instead, she said that my next four sandwiches at that location would be free. She took my name, e-mail address, and other information, and promised me that she would send me something to confirm ASAP.

I gave the sandwich to one of the newbies in the office, and then went downstairs to Au Bon Pain to get a Thai Chicken Salad. As always, it was perfectly okay, but it just wasn't what I wanted.

It's about 30 hours later, and I still haven't received any e-mail from Cosi. The bastards.


8 comments:

DSL said...

It is Veteran's Day (might explain the lack of comments).

dara said...

People are reading, they're just not asking me anything. I'm kind of disappointed.

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

I hate it when I have a taste for a certain thing on my mind and it doesn't work out.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put honey mustard on sandwhiches should be drug out into the street and shot. OK, that's a little harsh, maybe just beaten.

Miss Scarlet said...

Shite like that pisses me off so much! And I've worked/work on that other side of the counter, too. That's why I write everything down...so I won't eff up stuff for customers. Did they ever email??

dara said...

AML- Sometimes you just want a turkey bacon melt and not a thai chicken salad.

And it wasn't just a little bit of honey mustard. It was drowning in it.

Scarlet: It was like the cashier purposefully ignored me. And they still haven't emailed.

Anonymous said...

What is it with putting mustard on subs? Ugh.

I don't much care for the taste of mustard either, but I've found a hot dog or hamburger without it is lacking, so I do use it on them. Other than that, nope.

DSL said...

For the record, I love mustard, since no one is standing up for it.

Perhaps she thought you said more mustard? I'm feeling generous. We all make mistakes once in a while. Life's a bummer sometimes. And always check things "before" you leave. Especially at the pharmacy.

dara said...

RJ: Ketchup works just fine on hot dogs and hamburgers.

Debby: She repeated my order back to me, she just never typed it in the computer. Sheer laziness. But you're right, I should have checked before I left.