Thursday, May 18, 2006

The DaVinci Backlash

I read The DaVinci Code some time ago, while on a short vacation. I found the story intriguing, and pretty much couldn't put the book down, finishing it in a matter of hours. This, however, is not that unusual for me. I don't recall having any particular feelings about Dan Brown's writing style.

Apparently, this means that I wasn't paying attention:
I am still trying to come up with a fully convincing account of just what it was about his very first sentence, indeed the very first word, that told me instantly that I was in for a very bad time stylistically.
***
The writing goes on in similar vein, committing style and word choice blunders in almost every paragraph (sometimes every line).
***
Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad. In some passages scarcely a word or phrase seems to have been carefully selected or compared with alternatives.

Yikes. Well, at least the movie's getting good reviews, right? Uh, no, not exactly:
There's no code to decipher. Da Vinci is a dud -- a dreary, droning, dull-witted adaptation of Dan Brown's religioso detective story that sold 50 million copies worldwide.

Even Kurt Loder thinks it's bad. But wait -- there's got to be something good about it, right?

Not so much, considering that it provoked protests by Christian groups and albinos. To be perfectly fair, though, the albinos have a point: More often than not, the media portrays them as evil villians. Check out the list.

Update: I went to see the movie Saturday night. It was okay -- nothing special, just a pretty literal interpretation of a mystery novel involving some religious themes.

3 comments:

Justin S. said...

The people who complain about Da Vinci Code's writing have too much time on their hand. It's not James Joyce, and anyone who would expect it to be is just dumb. It's a lightweight, fun, read, nothing more.

I don't have high expectations for the movie, but I do plan on seeing it. It's probably about the same situation as the book... Don't go in expecting it to be the Godfather, and it probably won't be the worst thing you've ever seen.

dara said...

I read legal writing all day. Arguably, it's a lot worse than Dan Brown.

I liked the book for what it was -- a murder mystery with an evil albino.

I'm with you on the movie.

christine said...

i didn't know the albinos were in an uproar! that's funny to me because i'd only heard of the Catholic and literary backlash thus far.