Wednesday, May 24, 2006

More about the First Annual Summer Writing Contest

So, there are three weeks left in the First Annual blah blah blog Summer Fiction Writing Contest.

I hope people are taking this seriously. I am.

To answer some questions:

1. Yes, poetry is acceptable. It doesn't even have to rhyme. Hell, write a song if you want. Just write SOMETHING. With one caveat: No legal writing. I really don't want to read contracts, memos, pleadings, or even motions for summary judgment, no matter how astonishingly fantastic they may be. Save 'em for a judge.

2. No, it does not have to be long. It just has to be GOOD.

3. It doesn't really even have to be fiction, but since it's summer, I was hoping for some light beach reading.

4. Yes, it has to be original, but no, it does not have to be new. Dust out something you wrote in college or grad school if you think it fits the bill.

5. Yes, I really will let the poll pick the winner. So make sure that you and your friends vote early and often.

6. With the possible help of my Dad, I will pick the top 10, as long as there are more than 10 submissions.

7. If you want to write something in a foreign language, go ahead. Of course, you're more likely to make it to the top 10 if you write in English, since that's what I know. I've spent enough time translating French and Spanish poetry that I'll know what you mean if you use either, but I am quite sure that I won't be able to tell if it's any good. And for any other language, well, I might not even know what you're saying. Unless you use swear words.

8. There really will be a prize, and it will be worth something. Maybe not much, and maybe not to you, but it will be worth something to someone. Honest.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a new look, no? Or is it because I'm finally sober and things look, um, normal now.

Justin S. said...

You blog more when you're taking a break than I do when I'm not.

dara said...

Mad: The blog is the same. I'm just writing longer posts.

Justin: I had free wireless internet in the B&B and in the airport. I wasn't sure if I would, though.

Anonymous said...

May I submit fictional works previously submitted for publication in a newspaper if the paper refused to publish them? I have a ton of those things sitting around.

dara said...

Judith, I didn't know you were now living in St. Louis.

Anonymous said...

You lawyers think you're so smart

dara said...

Aaah, fun with Site Meter.

DSL said...

I don't really have time to write my masterpiece right now.

dara said...

You could recycle. I mean, you were an english major.

DSL said...

That's literary analysis, not creative writing.