Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"If they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire..."



Today, I move offices . . . again. This is my fifth office since November, although, some of that had to do with the job change. But still.

I'm beginning to feel like Milton from Office Space:

Bill Lumbergh: Milt, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B. We have some new people coming in, and we need all the space we can get. So if you could go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there, that would be terrific, OK?

Milton Waddams: Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...


At my last job, people changed offices infrequently. I was there for five-plus years, and the only reason I moved (after two years) was that a window office had finally opened up. Granted, it had a view of the 3rd Street tunnel, but I took it anyway -- broken old furniture and all. Then I stayed put for over three years.

Now I'm moving again, although instead of moving down the hall, I'm at least moving to another floor.

I need to go finish emptying out my desk drawers.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Five moves in 10 months?? You keep this up and eventually you will become the porter.

If I were you I'd nail some wheels to the bottom of my desk and just roll it to your new office next time (which, by your schedule, will be in November).

dara said...

Dan: Alas, around here, a new office generally means a new desk. Or in this case, a different desk. Otherwise, I'd just leave everything in the drawers and hope for the best.

I was told that the last office might be temporary, and I knew that the office before that was definitely a mere stopover. So I didn't even bother hanging up my diplomas.

The new office is supposedly permanent, but I have my doubts. I'm not sure whether to bother hanging anything up.

jinx protocol said...

I always feel like I'm in Office Space. I have six bosses. Literally. It's all I can do not to kill myself.

Also, my word verification is "wesalie". I think that's cool. It rarely makes a whole word.

dara said...

Jinx: I love it when the word verifications are funny -- but especially when they're close to naughty words.

I have a lot of Office Space moments. We actually joke about it here, on occasion. Often it involves quotes -- usually calling people no-talent ass-clowns, and joking about having to come in on Sunday, too.

But secretly, the two lines that are the most like me are:

"I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

and

"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

Sigh.