Saturday, August 12, 2006

I want my real tv!

If you haven't noticed, I've developed more than a passing fascination with reality tv this summer. For years, the only "reality tv" I watched were sporting events.

I started to occasionally watch Celebrity Poker Showdown when it first premiered. Then, last summer, I casually watched Rock Star and 30 Days. During the winter, I became mildly obsessed with Project Runway.

This summer, I'm completely hooked.

I even watched most of the 30 Days marathon while doing laundry this afternoon. It's clearly become an addiction.

This evening, Inbal and I were standing on line at the movies, waiting to go see Pirates of the Carribbean -- which was good, not great. She mentioned watching So You Think You Can Dance. I mocked her a little. She pointed out that my reality tv selections are not all that much cooler. While I beg to differ with her barometer, I'm a little worried that maybe she has a bit of a point.

So, this addiction needs to stop. Now. Before I get too invested in Gene Simmons Family Jewels.

I want my life back.

3 comments:

Scooter McGavin said...

I've found the best way to keep from watching too much reality TV is to get invested in good scripted show. Like this summer I can't wait for every Tuesday for Rescue Me to come on and when the fall season starts it will be time for Veronica Mars which keeps me from watching dudes singing kareoke.

Scooter McGavin's 9th Green

dara said...

Scooter -- I totally agree. I never watch reality tv -- ok, except for Project Runway -- during the regular tv season. But this summer, I just haven't found anything scripted to watch.

I tried to watch Rescue Me, but I felt like I had missed too much already. You can miss most of the season of a reality show, and still manage to understand what's going on.

dara said...

Kilroy -- Watching those would turn me in to my dad! Besides, I'm sure that my reality tv habit will subside once the regular tv season starts up again.
Bring on the Gilmore Girls, Gray's Anatomy and Lost!