Thursday, August 24, 2006

Music, life, whatever

I am not a morning person. No matter how much sleep I get, I am always completely discomboblulated for some time after I wake up. This often has a strange effect. For example, sometimes, in the morning, when I'm still tired and groggy, I hear songs on the radio differently. Maybe it's because I'm not quite conscious yet, or maybe it's because I'm not yet conscious of anything else.

Either way, I heard Dancing in the Dark this morning, and, even though it's a song from an album that my uncle bought for me for my 10th (maybe 9th?) birthday, I really think I deeply understood it for the first time. Maybe it's because of my frustration with my life as it is, or maybe it's some kind of realization that I need a little more than just work, family, friends, and writing -- I need to go somewhere or do something.

I get up in the evening
and I ain't got nothing to say
I come home in the morning
I go to bed feeling the same way
I ain't nothing but tired
Man I'm just tired and bored with myself
Hey there baby, I could use just a little help

You can't start a fire
You can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark

Message keeps getting clearer
radio's on and I'm moving 'round the place
I check my look in the mirror
I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face
Man I ain't getting nowhere
I'm just living in a dump like this
There's something happening somewhere
baby I just know that there is

You can't start a fire
you can't start a fire without a spark
This gun's for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark

You sit around getting older
there's a joke here somewhere and it's on me
I'll shake this world off my shoulders
come on baby this laugh's on me

Stay on the streets of this town
and they'll be carving you up alright
They say you gotta stay hungry
hey baby I'm just about starving tonight

I'm dying for some action
I'm sick of sitting 'round here trying to write this book
I need a love reaction
come on now baby gimme just one look

You can't start a fire
sitting 'round crying over a broken heart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark

You can't start a fire
worrying about your little world falling apart
This gun's for hire
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
Even if we're just dancing in the dark
Hey baby


So what does all this mean? I have no idea, but I think it just boils down to the fact that I am bored, bored, bored.

But then, this morning, I read Page Six, only to discover that they're reporting that Bruce and his wife are having marital problems and that their kids go to the same fancy private school that my brother went to when he was little and we still lived in the Garden State.

So, I wrote about this, because I'm a fan of synchronistic events. I'm also a fan of Synchronicity, which I have on record. Maybe I'll listen to that instead.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Awesome. I was just listening to the Police live album yesterday which opens with Synchronicity I and II.

Effect without a cause
Sub-atomic laws, scientific pause
Synchronicity...

dara said...

I have that one too. Just not copied onto my work computer!

angst on the outskirts said...

Ahhh, nothing beats anything off Born In The USA...

Esp when Born in The USA was an anti war song hijacked by the Right.

If you have the whole album, check out No Surrender. One of the greatest songs ever written.

dara said...

I have the tape, but never listen to tapes anymore. I grew up one town away from Bruce in New Jersey, so I've been a big fan since I was a little kid.

Him and, uh, Bon Jovi.

But at least I don't have big NJ hair anymore!