Thursday, August 17, 2006

Vacation update

I haven't gone home* to Florida to see my family since November. And, after having a long phone conversation with my parents Tuesday night, I woke up Wednesday to find plane tickets for $168. So, after checking with the kind folks at work, I booked a trip, from Saturday through Tuesday. (Note to self: do not wear gel bra on plane.)

Alas, despite my best intentions, this is my summer vacation. Two whole days off from work!

Coincidentally, Saturday is my Nana's 81st birthday. She has no idea that I'll be there for it -- and don't you go ruining the surprise!

So, this morning, I sent my sister an e-mail to let her know about my last-minute travel plans. It concluded with the line, "Make sure you have some time to hang out. Or I will be very angry." She has not replied.

One of the last times I went home, she and I hadn't spoken for a while -- she's notoriously bad at answering her phone and returning calls and e-mails -- so the e-mail said something to the effect that she better come see me, because I'm one of only two people likely to have compatible organs if she ever needed a donor. It concluded with the line, "Don't think of it as hanging out with me, think of it as visiting your future kidney." Again, no response.

Sometimes, I think she just doesn't get my humor.**




*Yes, it is weird that I am 30 years old and still refer to Florida as home, especially since I haven't lived in Florida for over 6 years, and except for several extended stays at my parents' house, I've pretty much been living on my own since I was 17. It's even weirder that I call my parents' house "home," since I have never actually lived in their current house.

** Everyone else in the family thought this was hysterical, but after they stopped laughing, they all shook their heads and sighed.

2 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

I promise not to tell Nana.

dara said...

Scarlet, thanks. Although, she'll be figuring it out pretty soon.

Last year, she helped me stage an elaborate surprise visit for my mom's birthday. Turnabout is fair play, I guess.