Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Munich

My dad and I watched Munich on DVD tonight. I loved it, and my dad seemed to really like it, too. But, after going back and looking at the reviews -- which were mixed -- I can see why a lot of people didn't.

The general theme of the movie is terrorism and the reaction to it -- in this case, the 1972 assassination of the Israeli Olympic team by Palestinian terrorists, and the Israeli response thereto. (For those who haven't seen it yet, I'll try not to get too specific.) Ultimately, the movie presents the conundrum of how to react to violence -- whether more violence is necessary or right, and whether it even works.

I'm not sure I agree with Spielberg's conclusion, but I have to respect him for making a serious movie that will make everyone think about the dilemma.

7 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

Munich is def on my list to watch, but I keep moving it down the list bc I don't have time to sit down and really watch it. It's not a fluff movie I can just pop on.

dara said...

I've had it from Netflix for a couple of weeks and kept putting it off for the same reason.

It was a good movie to watch with my dad.

Washington Cube said...

I saw Munich and Syriana around the same time, and I found Syriana to be the preferable of the two films. Somehow, for me anyway, Munich missed the mark by minor degrees, but I usually wind up feeling this way after seeing a Spielberg film.

Justin S. said...

So I take it you now officially rank Crash as the least prefarable of this year's best picture nominees?

mad said...

It's been a while, but as I recall there was a lot of debate about the final scene in Munich -- the symbolism etc. I was hoping for a little more from this flick and got a lot less.

dara said...

Cube: I haven't seen Syriana yet, but it's next on my Netflix list.

Justin: Yeah, I think Crash was officially the worst. None of them were bad, though.

Mad: I really liked the first 97% of the movie -- the end was a little disappointing. I think, to some extent, the filmmakers got nervous.

Jason said...

I thought Munich was very well done. Here was my review:

http://hipsterdork.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_hipsterdork_archive.html